Councils and local authorities have a legal requirement to ensure that pavements, roads and other council property are safe for public use. But despite this thousands of people are injured by loose paving stones, potholes or uneven surfaces. To make a successful claim for the injuries you’ve suffered we have to prove your injury was a result of the council’s negligence.

How to make a successful claim

Due to the nature of most slip, trip or fall accidents, we will need to provide evidence that your injury has been caused by their failure. If the area in which your accident took place has since been corrected it can make it very difficult for a claim to be successful. To ensure you have the strongest case possible we recommend you:

  • Take photographs of where your injury took place
  • Take measurements of the pothole or other defect which caused your injury
  • Provide us with the names and addresses of any witnesses present

What types of claims can be made against the council?

The council have a duty of care to ensure that roads, pavements and other public areas are properly maintained. We can help you make a claim for compensation against the council if you’ve suffered an injury as a result of:

  • An uneven paving stone or surface sticking up by more than one inch
  • A pothole that is 40mm deep or more

Cyclists are particular vulnerable to suffering injuries due to poorly maintained roads, if you’ve fallen off your bike after hitting a pothole, we could help you make a claim.

How we can help

At Cleversons we have an experienced team of personal injury solicitors who understand what it takes to make a claim against a council or local authority successful. We can support you throughout your recovery to ensure you make a fast and full recovery, call us today on 0203 9252 301 or complete the online enquiry form below.

Jacqueline Tanner

Head of personal injury

Send us a message