Where abuse has taken place, you should report it to the police to ensure it is stopped. However, sometimes, police officers use their position of authority to abuse others, including children. In this article, we explain how to claim compensation in the unfortunate event that you or a loved one have suffered abuse.

As the enforcers of law and order in modern societies, it should be taken for granted that police officers will uphold the law and that they will also be subject to the law. However, in recent years, there have been numerous examples of police officers who have been convicted for the sexual abuse, rape or sexual assault of adults and children.

Whether the abuse has occurred both recently or many years ago; whether you were a victim of a crime, a witness or a suspect; or whether you were in police custody or the abuse took place elsewhere, including in your home, you may be entitled to claim compensation if you have suffered sexual abuse at the hands of a police officer.

Who can I claim compensation from?

If you have been sexually abused or assaulted by a police officer, you may be able to claim compensation for the abusive acts of the police officer. Compensation can be claimed from the police force for which the officer worked.

You may also be able to claim compensation on the basis that the police force was negligent in its procedures; for example, that it failed to take suitable care of you while you were in custody, or that the procedures for safeguarding victims or vulnerable witnesses was not followed.

It is also possible to claim compensation directly from the police officer, although the viability of such a claim will depend on the financial position of the officer and whether he or she would be able to afford to pay you compensation.

Cleversons solicitors can advise you on the best route to take in your compensation claim.

Why can I claim compensation from the police?

Victims of violent offences should be able to expect their assailants to face criminal charges for their crimes. Where a police officer has used their position to sexually abuse or indecently assault a person, they may have committed a number of offences, such as rape, sexual assault and/or abuse of a position of trust.
A police officer found guilty of those crimes may also have committed a “tort” (or civil “wrong”), such as a trespass to the person or misfeasance in public office.

Where someone has suffered physical or psychological harm as a result of the wrongful act of a police officer, they may be entitled to compensation through the civil courts and/or through the criminal injuries compensation authority.

If you or your child has been abused by a police officer, we can help you to claim compensation, use the contact form below to send a message to our team of sexual abuse solicitors.

Send us a message