Social workers are meant to support and protect children when there are difficulties in the family home. Sometimes, this position allows them to abuse the children they are meant to protect. In this article, we explain how to claim compensation in the unfortunate event that you or a loved one have suffered abuse.

Throughout England and Wales, thousands of families and individuals receive help and assistance from social workers and care workers. Social workers work with some of the most vulnerable people in society, such as those who are old or young, disabled, or who have problems with mental health, drugs or alcohol.

They also work with people who are socially excluded, including refugees and asylum seekers.

Social workers work with vulnerable people to safeguard them from harm or abuse. In many cases, these people may already have suffered from some form of abuse or neglect. Particularly where children are concerned, this makes them extremely vulnerable and at risk of further abuse, neglect or sexual exploitation by others.

For the most part, social and care workers do a good job in difficult circumstances. Sadly, like all jobs or sectors that involve working with children or looking after children, people who wish to sexually abuse children can become social workers or care workers.

If you have been sexually abused by a social worker or care worker, you may be entitled to compensation for the harm you have suffered as a result of the abuse.

Social worker abuse compensation

Social workers are often employed by a local authority but many are employed by NHS trusts or private or voluntary organisations, including charities. More recently, we have seen the development of social enterprises, which are companies set up by social workers to work with vulnerable individuals.

It may be possible to claim compensation against one of these organisations if you have been sexually abused by one of its employees or volunteers, particularly where the abuser’s job involves working with, or safeguarding, children. The organisation may be held responsible for the abusive acts of its employees or volunteers, or it may be negligent in its own right because it failed to protect you from harm by that person. Alternatively, or in addition, you may be able to claim from the abuser in person.

Speak to the experts